If you were lucky enough to come along to the Venomous mystery: turning venoms into medicine event recently, you would have received a special hot/cold pack from IMB as a gift. 

Your IMB hot/cold pack will provide you with convenient, reusable cold or hot treatment therapy. It will remain flexible even when cold, and can be applied to any parts of the body. When properly used, especially within the first 72 hours after injury, the pack helps reduce the severity of symptoms and the time required for healing. 
 

How to use cold

Store in the freezer, remove and wrap in a cover. Apply to affected area. A minimum of two hours is required in the freezer to obtain the best results. 

Do not use directly on the skin straight from the freezer.
 

How to use hot

Hot water use

  1. Make sure to boil enough water to cover the pack completely
  2. Remove water from the heat
  3. Place the pack in the water for about 7 minutes, making sure the pack is completely covered by water
  4. Leave in the container for 10 mins if the pack is taken from the freezer
  5. Remove from the water and wrap is a towel, apply to the affected area

Microwave use

Be cautious as microwaves vary in power and you will need to find the correct amount of time to heat the pack.

  1. Flatten the pack to ensure the gel is evenly distributed
  2. Place the pack in the microwave oven and set timer for a maximum of 30 seconds and then allow to stand for 30 seconds
  3. If more heat is required, heat in 10 second increments with equal standing time until desired temperature is achieved
  4. Remove from the microwave and wrap in a towel or cloth and apply to desired area

Note: The medium power is recommended for the microwave oven. Do not heat in microwave oven over 1400WATT.
 

CAUTION

  • If you suffer from neurovascular disease please consult with your doctor before use
  • When using for treatment of post-surgical trauma, follow the instructions of your medical practitioner
  • Please do not overheat the pack in the microwave beyond the recommended time. This may cause leakage of contents. 
  • If contents are exposed to the skin or eyes, flush with water immediately. Gel is non-toxic.
  • If irritation or redness persists, consult a physician
  • To be used under adult supervision
  • The gel is inedible

 

       ​     

 

Help IMB research

Give now

IMB newsletters

Subscribe

Find out more about venom research at IMB

Venom research