Spotlight on: Amanda Carozzi

Q&A with Amanda Carozzi, IMB Postgraduate Administrative Officer

How long have you been with IMB?

I joined UQ's Centre for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology—which became the Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, then became IMB—in 1993 as part of Prof David James’s lab, where I worked in the area of diabetes research.

I then joined Prof George Muscat’s lab in 1995 and then Prof Rob Parton’s lab in 1997 until 2003 when I took up the position of IMB Postgrad Admin Officer.

What does a typical day look like for you and what are you currently working on?

The joy of this job is that there is no typical day as each day brings something new (although there is usually a milestone lurking somewhere!). At the moment we are finalising the research quarter three intake of new PhD students and gearing up for the next international scholarship round. We are also excited about Three Minute Thesis (3MT) and the rest of the team are super busy with a hotspot for events (including UQ Open Day), honours students and special initiatives!

If you could switch jobs with someone at IMB, who would it be?

I wouldn't want to swap with anyone as I think this role is perfect!

What aspects of your role do you enjoy the most?

Hearing about the science, watching the students shape their careers and trouble-shooting the administrative knots (that can be fun too).

What places have you lived in?

I was born in Brisbane, moved to Melbourne at 16 and then to Canberra at 21 before spending five years in London (24-29) and then returning home!

Tell us something about yourself that may surprise us.

My childhood pets included terapins and axolotls (none named Fluffy!)

23 August 2017