Spotlight on: Alun Jones

Alun JonesQ&A with Alun Jones, IMB Facility Manager

How long have you been with IMB?

I arrived at The University of Queensland from The Scripps Research Institute, San Diego, USA at the beginning of 1992, to work at the Drug Design and Development Centre. The Drug Design and Development Centre (3D Centre) and the Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology (CMCB), Prof Peter Andrews and Prof John Mattick respective leaders, which later amalgamated to form IMB. Therefore I have worked at the IMB since inception.

What does a typical day look like for you and what are you currently working on?

Having access to some of the latest, state-of-the-art mass spectrometry gear available anywhere. Check that the HPLC and Mass Spectrometry systems are functioning correctly and accurately, fix any problems, where possible. Discuss or train researchers in current or potential mass spectrometry applications. Developing and employing sensitive analytical mass spectrometry methods for the discovery and quantification of biological molecules implicated in pain, stress and inflammatory diseases.

If you could switch jobs with someone at IMB, who would it be?

If I could assume the knowledge of the person also I would like to be one of the IT group, maybe Calvin, as he is a great “go to” person for many of my computer hardware and software issues.

What aspects of your role do you enjoy the most?

Providing world-class facilities for researchers, enabling them to answer the many great and varied biological questions raised.

Tell us about some of your talents and interests outside of work? 

Talents outside of work include making my grandchildren laugh, helped to raise two beautiful daughters. I used to play a lot of football but two knee ACL replacements and three ACL tears stopped my playing days, not my age! I cycle, play a bit of tennis and go to the gym, mainly for rpm, cycle classes.

What can’t you live without?

Difficult to say what I can’t live without, I thought playing football but have had to adapt. I do enjoy family things, grandchildren growing up, some kind of sport, people in general, therefore would not like to lose any of them. I do like a nice cup of tea also.

How did you get started in your area of work?

I obtained my first job in Mass Spectrometry after applying for a short-term contract after finishing University at the University of Cardiff (now University of Wales in Cardiff), working for Prof Dai Games. This was all new to me but I had great teachers and the contract was continually extended for 4 years. I then continued to work in mass spectrometry in both industry and academia, BAT and Covance UK, BioMann Canada, SCRIPPS USA, Bond Uni Australia.

Tell us something about yourself that may surprise us

Between the age of 16 and 18 I played football for a team in the English Second Division, Wrexham but at 18 I had to have my first knee ACL replacement. Probably the main reason I left the UK was because of the political ideology of Margaret Thatcher.

28 February 2018